Saturday, October 11, 2008

Red River Shootout Redux

So here are some random thoughts on the big game:

1. I rooted for Texas. I legitimately wanted them to win. Please remember that such a win was against my interests (at least as it pertains to me getting carrot cake). Also remember that Kristin would NEVER root for USC as long as a pair of jeans for her is at stake. So since I am the bigger person, doesn't that mean that I deserve some carrot cake nonetheless? (Kristin Jefferson, I'm looking in your direction. Back me up here.)

2. The second running-into-the-kicker penalty that Texas incurred was really stupid (even though it was debatable whether that was even a penalty). They had already had one earlier in the game, and it didn't hurt them at that time. But this one led to a first down and then Oklahoma's final touchdown. Mack Brown may be one of the best coaches in college football, but he and/or his special teams' coach had their heads up their asses on that play. If that hadn't happened, Texas might have won by 17, and they'd have a much stronger claim to #1 in this week's rankings.

3. Lewis Hamilton is on pole for the Japanese Grand Prix, with Filipe Massa starting fifth. This is excellent news for Lewis' chances for the World Driving Championship.

4. The play before Texas scored the go-ahead touchdown (to take the lead 38-35), Texas converted on third and long from about the 40, all the way down to the one foot line. But anyway, on that 40-yard play, one of the Texas players made one of the greatest blocks I've ever seen on #11 of Oklahoma. That player is now my favorite Longhorn. Who was that who made the block?

5. We went to The Parlor to watch the game. At the bar, there were a couple of OU fans. One in particular was quite annoying. Whenever OU did anything good, he was quite loud, and he single-handedly turned the rest of the bar against OU. Also, I just happened to go to the bathroom right after him, and I noticed that he urinated all over the toilet seat, and he didn't even wash his hands. So I don't know what kind of people most OU fans are, but this guy was certainly a bad apple.

That's it for now. UT fans, you can enjoy your win. Good luck the rest of the season. I am gracious now, but if you make it to Miami, and USC is there as well, I cannot promise to be so nice.

2 comments:

The Kennedy's said...

Great game all the way around...even reece was dressed in his burnt orange. I will post some pics manana. Texas is a lovely place to be when "the team" wins!

Kristin said...

I'll have to watch the game on DVR to see that block again, which I'm hoping to do tonight if I can talk my roommate into it...

Chris, good things come to those who root for Texas, including not contracting any urine transported diseases. And remember, calories don't count on gameday.