Monday, January 26, 2009

Going Skiing

Tomorrow, Kristin and I (and the rest of the Nunnellys) are flying to Utah to go skiing. We will be there until Sunday, arriving home just as the Super Bowl starts. (A big shout-out to Randy for realizing that our flight home was during the Super Bowl and making the appropriate changes to our flight schedule.)

Anyway, as we'll be out of town over the next few days, I shall not be posting. What I shall be doing is getting scared to death with each run down the mountain. To ensure that I don't fall too much or hurt myself, I wrote out some notes last year to help me remember weight distribution as well as other necessary techniques. Just so you know how screwed I am, I thought I'd post them for your viewing.

Traversing the Mountain:
  • Weight on downhill ski
  • Lean forward in boots
Turning:
  • Move weight to uphill ski (outside)
  • Lean forward on uphill ski
  • Push toes down on uphill ski
  • Start turn
  • Turn hips
  • Start turning downhill ski
  • Lean downhill ski toward turn
  • Bring outside hand around fully
  • Outside hand (not downhill hand) should be lower than uphill hand
  • Look up, not down toward skis
Other:
  • Don't look down the mountain
  • Look at where I want to go
First, I will be studying these on the plane ride to Utah. And second, someone who has to actually think through this many things is in a bad spot. If you can spare a thought of pity for me, please do so.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Have fun! Have some hot cocoa for me after you hit the slopes. And when I say "hit" I don't mean it in the "I just fell down the mountain" kinda way, I mean it in a "hell yeah I just KILLED that run" kinda way :)

Anonymous said...

I never realized that turning on skis had so much instruction to it. When all else fails, you can always "wedge" your skis like any good beginner. (Of course, Kristin may ski away from you at that point.) :) Seriously, enjoy! Look forward to hearing about your ski-ventures!

The Cooksey's said...

and just where is the new posting with pictures from the ski trip? I mean, you have been home a whole 24 hours...that's plenty of time as far as I am concerned.