Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

Today, we went over to my aunt's house for Easter. Because it was going to be warm, I wore shorts. The particular pair of shorts I chose were a bit loose around my waist but not too loose that I would need a belt. But then I figured that I'd be dealing with certain hooligans while at my aunt's house - my cousins Domenic and Patrick - and that one of them might try to pants me at some point. So I decided that I'd wear a belt. Sure enough, Patrick tried to pants me (only 10 minutes or so after our arrival) . Disaster avoided due to a little forethought.

Then, at little later, I checked Facebook on my phone. Apparently, I had received a friend request from Christopher Pagano, in Indiana. I don't know this Christopher Pagano. I have nothing in common with him. So as much as it intrigues me that he wants to be my Facebook friend, and as much as I need more friends so as to catch up to Kristin (who always has 10 to 20 more friends than I do), I'm going to have to ignore his friend request.

Finally, a Festivus-style "Feats of Strength" has been in the works with my cousin Steven for quite some time. Over Christmas, he was supposed to do 100 push-ups in 5 minutes, for $100. He claimed at the time that he couldn't do it because he hadn't had time to train because he had been sick leading up to that day. Well, today, he has ready to go. Since he had had extra time to train, I offered him only $20 if he could do 100 in 5 minutes. We went out to the front yard, and he made a go of it. After 25 seconds, he had completed the first 20. By the end of the first minute, he was done with 40. I was starting to get worried that I might lose. Then it took him a minute to do the next 20. At this point, he had 3 minutes to do 40 more. Well, the next 10 push-ups took him quite a bit of time, and the next 10 even more, and the next 10 even more. With 30 seconds left, he had 10 to go. He made a valiant try, but most of his final push-ups didn't meet the technical requirements of a push-up, such that most were excluded. And as time ran out, our official counter (cousin Patrick) had him at 93. So close, yet so far! Sorry Steven, good luck next time. However, the major question is what should be the next event for the Feats of Strength. I'm thinking of making him run a 10k in under 50 minutes next Christmas. I think that would be fair. Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Drinking a gallon of milk in an hour is a good one. Be sure to have your camera ready.

Logan