Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend - Eating

I went to visit my friend Tim in South Carolina over the long weekend. This was my sixth time to visit him: three times while he lived near Indianapolis and now three times in South Carolina. Of those trips, I've seen two Indy 500's, one Brickyard 400, and this would be my third Coca-Cola 600.

Well, it rained all weekend, and that ruined the racing. So there's no real need to discuss the particulars of the NASCAR drivers' inability to drive around in circles in the rain. I might as well discuss some of the fine foods I had over the weekend. Please keep in mind, this is not a comprehensive list, just the highlights:

Friday (DFW Airport)
  • KFC chicken tenders - pretty good, but as soon as I sat down, I noticed the Auntie Anne's pretzel dog, and I seriously considered getting one of those as well.

Saturday (downtown Charlotte):
  • 1 polish sausage sandwich - excellent
  • 1 deep-fried twinkie - I've always wanted to have one. But it was quite disappointing. I just don't see the point of having fried dough surround something that is already so obviously perfect. And what made this even more disappointing is that right after I finished this and couldn't possibly eat anymore, we saw a couple of guys walk by eating chocolate-covered frozen cheesecake on a stick. That looked like one of the best desserts ever, and I didn't get any.
Sunday (Lowe's Motor Speedway):
  • 1 giant turkey leg - pretty good. I've always wanted one of these as well. It wasn't anything special, but I'm glad I had it.
  • 1 Dove bar - I really needed some ice cream

Monday (Lowe's Motor Speedway)
  • 2 slices of Domino's pizza - you just can't go wrong with this choice
That's really about it. I suppose it could have been worse. However, on my flight home, I started feeling sick, and now I have a sore throat and a cold. So what's that old saying: "Feed a fever, starve a cold." Or is it: "Feed a cold, starve a fever." Or maybe it's "Feed a cold, feed a fever." Either way, I was supposed to be on a diet and exercising once I got home. But now that I'm oh so slightly under the weather, I feel I should continue eating so as to improve both my physical and mental health.

No comments: