Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Favorite Toys

So with my new iPhone, I got to thinking about what my favorite toys are. What recreational items could I not live without? The iPhone is certainly up there near the top, but is it the most important to me? And the answer is no. So I thought long and hard about this very important issue, and here’s my top four (only four because I couldn’t come up with five):

  1. Microsoft Excel: Yes, I’m a big nerd, there’s no doubt about it. Excel is the most wonderful tool I use at work and at home, and I honestly can’t imagine how anything got done in business without it.
  2. iPhone: Give me a couple more weeks, and maybe I’ll move this up to #1. This has certainly changed my life in the three days that I’ve been using it, and it will only get better once I figure out more of the features and download more apps.
  3. DFA Returns Program: This one probably makes me an even bigger dork. But since my current job involves investing, I have access to this fantastic software through the company that provides us our mutual funds. I can put together and compare portfolios, understand their historical returns and volatilities, figure out best/worst-case scenarios, etc etc etc. I even used it to create our current investment portfolio (REALLY risky). Of course, we’re losing a TON of money in the stock market right now, so maybe I should stop playing with the returns program. But at least we’re “long-term investors.”
  4. My Dyson DC-14 Animal vacuum cleaner: In our apartment, I’m the one who cleans. Now, normally, vacuuming is a woman’s job, unless you have this phenomenal piece of equipment.

That’s all I have. Again, no derogatory remarks about my interests, as I’ve already acknowledged how lame I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I thought that we were big nerds talking about MS Excel last night...and then I find that it's you number 1 "toy." Yes, you are a nerd!! (But please note that I am not contesting that Excel does deserve its place at the top of your list!) Oh, and as you can tell, I'm checking out your blog (the kids are obviously asleep...)